Photo

Deji Abiola

8 replies to this topic

#1 AnninJapan

AnninJapan
  • Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 08:25 PM

I wasn`t really sure where to post this....
I got a mail this morning from a man called himself Deji Abiola.
Written in bad English (not that mine is that good laugh.gif ) he asked me to help him to transfer money from -I think it was- Nigeria to Japan or where????
I didn`t bother to read it all. He offered 25% of the money and asked me to reply immediately.
Sure enough I deleted that mail but out of curiosity I entered the name in Goggle and clicked on the clover.
I don`t know if that mail is dangerous in any kind but I advice everyone to just delete it.
Read for yourself what Goggle came up with here.

It starts with exactly the mail I got this morning.
Take care mouse.gif
Greetings from Japan, Ann

Win XP
full install on laptop
DSL

#2 Daniela

Daniela
  • Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:26 PM

This is not a new scam, but simply another version of an 'oldie but not so goodie'. If you follow this link, you can read about similar ones, all of them trying to scam people into giving them money in return for a profit later on. Needless to say, no truth behind any of them.
I do not believe the letter is dangerous - simply a form of spam, that is trying to scam money of unsuspecting people. I am still amazed how many people fall for those scams. Sometimes they have documentaries on TV about cases similar to these - it's mind boggling! And sad. Because all too often elderly people who have very little money to begin with get robbed of their last saved penny!

I think someone has suggested some good Hoax Websites - I use several just for my own curiosity. The Hoax Buster is a really good one. Popular Urban Legends and TruthorFictions a couple of others. If you have nothing else to do - go to them and just get informed, it's interesting in a way.

Daniela smile.gif
Posted Image

#3 donwil

donwil
  • Members1
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:35 PM

Another good place to read about these scams is at http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org and http://truthorfiction.com There are a lot of scams and hoaxes out there. Have a good evening.

donwil

#4 Lloyd

Lloyd
  • Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:39 PM

Hello! As Daniela mentioned, this type of e-mail has been circulating around for a while now (couple yrs), trying to scam people into sending money.

You`d be surprised what people fall for. Was on the news about a mon. ago, how lots of elderly folks had fallen for some scam over the phone, wherein, they were promised some kind of windfall that they had won, but first they had to send x amount of dollars in, so they could cover legal costs etc. Then the people that were running the scam would phone these people back and say they have to send more money for additional costs incurred and the people would send it. These people lost thousands of dollars.

Take care
Lloyd
HP desktop wins 7 64-bit 2 x 500GB H.D.; 4GB memory
Toshiba laptop wins7 32-bit 4GB memory; 320GB hard drive

#5 Jeanette

Jeanette
  • Members
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 10:24 PM

Ann: Hi how are you. Can you tell me how you get to Goggle. I have never heard of it. What is it for. Nice to know that it is a helpful source.

I have to laugh when I think of a letter that I read from Steve Bass last year where he played one of these people along for months. It was so funny.

Jeanette

#6 Lloyd

Lloyd
  • Members
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 10:37 PM

Hello! Do you mean Google, not goggle. Google is one of the search engines, where can search the web for info/sites etc. www.google.com

Take care
Lloyd
HP desktop wins 7 64-bit 2 x 500GB H.D.; 4GB memory
Toshiba laptop wins7 32-bit 4GB memory; 320GB hard drive

#7 AnninJapan

AnninJapan
  • Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 05:43 PM

Hi Jeanette !

I`m great laugh.gif . Sorry, I just realized I misspelled. It`s of course Google. I really like it. Google-search is fast and you can get a list of results or the best result for your search tongue.gif .
I should search for a spellchecker or translator rolleyes.gif .

Win XP
full install on laptop
DSL

#8 Jeanette

Jeanette
  • Members
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 06:37 PM

Hi Ann:

That is ok. Where is the clover you mentioned? How do you check on somethng like you did. I just use it to look up web sits and such. I know it can be used to look up most anything.
Do you have the iespell? You can use it on here.

Jeanette

#9 AnninJapan

AnninJapan
  • Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 01:04 AM

Hi Jeanette!
I wanted to link you to Google help where the clover is explained. I realized just in time that I`m using the German version. But when you click on the Google logo it has under Google links -> help everything you need to know about the Google toolbar.
The clover searches all websites and comes up with the best one. It can be very helpful. smile.gif
As for spell checkers.....I do have one but I never take the time to use it *lol*.

Take care and have a great day mouse.gif

Win XP
full install on laptop
DSL

Reply to this topic