Photo

Is Java Update Safe?

14 replies to this topic

#1 soblessed

soblessed
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

I have had a Java update icon sitting in my taskbar for several days,as I am afraid to download it! I don't trust many things on the PC anymore. Well yesterday Pogo.com a gamesite I play at,sent me an ivite to play Club Pogo for free for 2 weeks,so I claimed my pass and played there. Now my virus-scan just ran and says I have 8 incidents,all versions of JAVA_BYTEVER ! Unfortunately my PC-cillin only quarantined 2, and all my options to clean,quarantine,delete are grayed out,and it's too late after 5pm to call them!
I have no idea what to do,and if this stuff came from Pogo or that update icon sitting in my taskbar?

With all the trouble from viruses,adware,spyware,scumware,I'm beginning to think there is no way a computer is worth the cost and the headaches! sad.gif angry.gif
HP Pavillion Media Center Windows XP SP2
Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
512 DDR-RAM
video-ATI Radeon X300 SE
160 GB HD
Broadband Connection
Ad Aware
Spyware Blaster
PC -cillin Internet Security/anti-virus by Micro Trend

Casual Christians may become Christian Casualties

#2 Lorac

Lorac
  • Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:35 PM

Soblessed..

This may help. Go to Start. Then the Control Panel. When the CP opens up, you should see an icon, which looks like a "steaming cup of coffee". If you double-click on Java's icon, you should then see it's Control Panel. Click on the General tab. Where you see "Temporary Internet Files", there's an option to "Delete Files". Delete them. If for some reason, you have an older version of Java, you may have an option to "delete cache". I don't remember right now, how the older Java Control Panel's were layed out. As an extra measure, I would also do this. Go to Start again. And again to the Control panel. Then Internet Options this time. Under the General Tab you'll also see Temporary Internet Files. Where it says, "Delete Files", delete them. Press OK. You might also want to empty the Recycle Bin.

Try running another scan. If everything is okay, you can download the latest version of Java from here:

http://www.java.com/...nload/index.jsp

I'm not clear if PC-cillin alerted you as a result of going to Pogo's website. Or, if you just "happen to" run a scan. My guess is the latter. Obviously, if you were alerted to this by going to Pogo, I would suggest... not going back. (I don't see any warnings about Pogo from SiteAdvisor. For whatever it's worth!)

Hopefully this will help. If not, or if you're having a problem, post back.

Carol

#3 soblessed

soblessed
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

QUOTE(Lorac @ Nov 24 2006, 07:35 PM)  

Soblessed..

This may help. Go to Start. Then the Control Panel. When the CP opens up, you should see an icon, which looks like a "steaming cup of coffee". If you double-click on Java's icon, you should then see it's Control Panel. Click on the General tab. Where you see "Temporary Internet Files", there's an option to "Delete Files". Delete them. If for some reason, you have an older version of Java, you may have an option to "delete cache". I don't remember right now, how the older Java Control Panel's were layed out. As an extra measure, I would also do this. Go to Start again. And again to the Control panel. Then Internet Options this time. Under the General Tab you'll also see Temporary Internet Files. Where it says, "Delete Files", delete them. Press OK. You might also want to empty the Recycle Bin.

Try running another scan. If everything is okay, you can download the latest version of Java from here:

I'm not clear if PC-cillin alerted you as a result of going to Pogo's website. Or, if you just "happen to" run a scan. My guess is the latter. Obviously, if you were alerted to this by going to Pogo, I would suggest... not going back. (I don't see any warnings about Pogo from SiteAdvisor. For whatever it's worth!)

Carol

Thank you so much for responding! I printed out your response,but my problem now is what to do with those 8 JAVA_BYTEVER viruses I have,since Trend Micro makers of PC-cillin are not open at all until Monday? I remember reading once that rebooting your PC can activate a virus ever worse,and I sure don't want to leave my PC on until Monday.I turn it off every night. Yet all my options on the scan page( it was an automatic virus scan) are grayed out,so what am I supposed to do with these viruses? Any idea? I am not very computer tech literate,and these kind of problems make me a nervous wreck. Thank you so much for any advice you have...Chris
Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
512 DDR-RAM
video-ATI Radeon X300 SE
160 GB HD
Broadband Connection
Ad Aware
Spyware Blaster

#4 Lorac

Lorac
  • Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

Chris..

Technically, it isn't a virus. You said only 2 were quarantined. The remaining 8 "viruses" you are referring to are most likely in Java's cache. There's no harm in deleting those files, as I mentioned. Try emptying Java's Temporary Internet Files, then run another scan. You'll see. There is also no harm in rebooting the computer, or turning it off. If you feel more comfortable not doing this, maybe wait until Monday. If it's going to create more anxiety by doing it, I would wait. I can only reassure you though, you have all to gain and nothing to lose. The very worst that can happen is you'll only be able to delete, 6 or 7 of them, not all 8. The best? They'll all be gone.

Go with whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.

Carol

If this makes you feel more comfortable, here are a couple of sites, where people have had the same problem and offered the same suggestion:
http://forum.worldst...ead.php?t=53056
http://www.wildersse...ad.php?t=121962
http://forum.java.su...threadID=641519

#5 adavid119

adavid119
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:17 PM

I Know that Trend Micro has an online scan if you would like to try it. Ewido.net has AVG Antispyware Freescan which is real good to scan your computer. To use this scan you have to use IE but it is a great scan.

Hope this helps.

What ever these scan find will be alright to Remove.

David

Dell MT 537
Vista Home premium x64 bit
3GB of RAM
500GB Hard
Avast 4.8
Spywareblaster
ccleaner
Spyware Doctor

www.buittfamilywebsite.0catch.com

#6 soblessed

soblessed
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE(adavid119 @ Nov 24 2006, 09:17 PM)  

I Know that Trend Micro has an online scan if you would like to try it. Ewido.net has AVG Antispyware Freescan which is real good to scan your computer. To use this scan you have to use IE but it is a great scan.

Hope this helps.

What ever these scan find will be alright to Remove.

David

Ok one question it wants me to install AVG, but I already have Ad-Aware, won't they conflict?
Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
512 DDR-RAM
video-ATI Radeon X300 SE
160 GB HD
Broadband Connection
Ad Aware
Spyware Blaster

#7 adavid119

adavid119
  • Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:57 PM

There will not be any conflict with Adaware or AVG. I had both at the same time. I also had Spybot S & D.

2 Anti viruses programs is not good but anti Spyware programs are ok.

David

Dell MT 537
Vista Home premium x64 bit
3GB of RAM
500GB Hard
Avast 4.8
Spywareblaster
ccleaner
Spyware Doctor

www.buittfamilywebsite.0catch.com

#8 soblessed

soblessed
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE(adavid119 @ Nov 25 2006, 12:57 AM)  

There will not be any conflict with Adaware or AVG. I had both at the same time. I also had Spybot S & D.

2 Anti viruses programs is not good but anti Spyware programs are ok.

David

Thank you David,ok won't it conflict with my PC-cillin then? I hate to be such a dunce about this computer stuff,but that is what I am! I know how to install CD-ROM games and play them,and install some PC programs and that is about my limit. This kind of stuff,just freaks me out! I know it's getting late,so I may just have to wait until tomorrow. I was doing an overdue disk cleanup,and it took until just a few minutes ago. I will go look for those temporary Java files now,but I did see some of these on Micro-Trend's virus definitions list. When I click on the more info button on my scan results page ,each one is listed as a Trojan. Thanks again!
Chris
Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
512 DDR-RAM
video-ATI Radeon X300 SE
160 GB HD
Broadband Connection
Ad Aware
Spyware Blaster

#9 soblessed

soblessed
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:55 AM

QUOTE(Lorac @ Nov 24 2006, 07:35 PM)  

Soblessed..

Carol

Ok, I tried that but there is no Java icon in my control panel! Also when I clicked on "more Info' on my scan results,it did call each one of those JAVA_BYTEVER versions-Trojans. So glad they are gone!

Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of my Java stuff,and get the newest update,In saw them in Add/Remove programs, I have 5 there! J2Se 5.0 update 4,5 and 6,and Java 2 Runtime Environment,SE v1.4.2_03 and v1.42_06. Seems all this stuff would be conflicting! Which update should I get,which is better J2SE or Java2Runtime Environment? I think one version is specifically needed at Pogo.com,is why there are 2 different types. Chris
Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
512 DDR-RAM
video-ATI Radeon X300 SE
160 GB HD
Broadband Connection
Ad Aware
Spyware Blaster

#10 ramblinrose52

ramblinrose52
  • Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:31 AM

Chris....you need to uninstall ALL old versions of java. Make sure you reboot...Then go to java.com to download newest version of java. They are all the same....I used to have those old versions of java too. Now all I have is JRE 1.5.0_09 and I just learned recently that java have new update 10. So I will be uninstalling update 9 too.

If you have dial up, better to use offline installations. There are instructions at java.com Hope this helps...remember I play at Club Pogo too. I have no problems with it.

If I remember right, old 1.4.2_03 and 1.4.2_06 have web start folder..AFTER you uninstall those 2 and check to make sure a web start folder is gone. I think it would be at All Programs. Just right click delete....

I think Carol (Lorac) have more experiences in that area since I can't remember exactly how I did it but I know you need to uninstall all. Sorry I couldn't be more specific helping you.. hugs, Rose

Windows XP home , IE8 SP3, 1 GB Ram, DSL,
Avast, windows firewall, Superanti-spyware
Malwarebytes, ATF Cleaner
Spywareblaster

#11 Bobbie

Bobbie
  • Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:18 AM

HI Rose

I still have old java on my computer 5.0 update 6
and new version as well version 5.0 update 9
does that mean i should unstall the 5.0 update 6
windows xp pro,sp2
2 GB Ram
IE 7
HP Printer
Avast 4.7,spyware Blaster 3.5 .1,Adware SE 1.06,spybot S&D 1.4
DSL
windows firewall

#12 soblessed

soblessed
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE(ramblinrose52 @ Nov 27 2006, 08:31 AM)  

Chris....you need to uninstall ALL old versions of java. Make sure you reboot...Then go to java.com to download newest version of java. They are all the same....I used to have those old versions of java too. Now all I have is JRE 1.5.0_09 and I just learned recently that java have new update 10. So I will be uninstalling update 9 too.

If you have dial up, better to use offline installations. There are instructions at java.com Hope this helps...remember I play at Club Pogo too. I have no problems with it.

If I remember right, old 1.4.2_03 and 1.4.2_06 have web start folder..AFTER you uninstall those 2 and check to make sure a web start folder is gone. I think it would be at All Programs. Just right click delete....

I think Carol (Lorac) have more experiences in that area since I can't remember exactly how I did it but I know you need to uninstall all. Sorry I couldn't be more specific helping you.. hugs, Rose

Thank you so much for that info that I need to unistall ALL the old Java versions, Will do. BTW no,I am on broadband,not dial-up.
Thanks again! biggrin.gif Chris
Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
512 DDR-RAM
video-ATI Radeon X300 SE
160 GB HD
Broadband Connection
Ad Aware
Spyware Blaster

#13 soblessed

soblessed
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:28 PM

Just an update I thought I would share this info. I just updated my Trend Micro PC-cillin anti-virus last week, and when I went to Pogo.com it warned me that I was attempting to open a dangerous website-category Spyware! This is a new feature in my PC-cillin to warn me of dangerous websites. I had never seen that before,but it just comfirmed what I have always known about Pogo.com. I know over the years I have without a doubt gotten Trojans from there, as has my daughter on her PC. Why do I still visit there? Because since I stopped using "free" anti-virus products,my anti-virus has always been able to take care of the nasties,and I like the varieties of games at Pogo. Some of these Trojans are tricky though, and you have to disable your System Restore and run your scan to get to them,which was the case here. Then run your scan again to be sure you're clean,then re-enable System Restore. It's a bummer that you lose all your restore points. It really ticks me off that Pogo is a dangerous website,and is infested,but what can you do?
Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
512 DDR-RAM
video-ATI Radeon X300 SE
160 GB HD
Broadband Connection
Ad Aware
Spyware Blaster

#14 ramblinrose52

ramblinrose52
  • Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:46 PM

I think pogo.com may have ads on it not safe. I don't know. All I know for sure is I have Club Pogo account which means that no ADS at all. I was club pogo member since 2003 and I never had any viruses or spywares from club pogo.

As long as you have newest java installed update 10, it should be fine. I don't use pogo.com because I didn't like all ads on it. Club Pogo is much better but you have to pay for it.

Bobbie, I am sorry that I didn't see your post about old javas. Yes uninstall ALL old javas then install java update 10. I've already done mine on pc and laptop with no problems. Make sure you reboot before installing new. hugs. Rose

I forgot to mention that I have siteadvisor installed and never say it was a bad website. It was always green color which means OK but then I haven't check it out with pogo.com

Windows XP home , IE8 SP3, 1 GB Ram, DSL,
Avast, windows firewall, Superanti-spyware
Malwarebytes, ATF Cleaner
Spywareblaster

#15 Bobbie

Bobbie
  • Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hi Rose

Its ok Rose,ok I will do that thanks rolleyes.gif
windows xp pro,sp2