Photo

Net Waiting

7 replies to this topic

#1 virginiamerry

virginiamerry
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:56 PM

I was browsing around to find a certain program and I came across a program called NetWaiting. I have no idea what it is or does or how I got it o my computer. Can anyone tell me what it is and if I need it. If I don't need it, is it safe just to remove it using add/remove programs?
Thank you in advance for helping me once again. I know someone out there can help me as there lots of helpful people on CloudEight.

Thanks again,
Ginger
Operating System..Vista home premium
Processor..Pentium 4
Ram..3G
Internet connection..Cable

#2 Daniela

Daniela
  • Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

Ginger, whenever I am not sure about a process, running or not, I go to the website called Processlibrary. Please check out their definition for the netwaiting.exe, which may help you determine it's origin. HERE IS the direct link for their it. Hopefully it will help you. :)
Posted Image

#3 virginiamerry

virginiamerry
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:05 PM

Ginger, whenever I am not sure about a process, running or not, I go to the website called Processlibrary. Please check out their definition for the netwaiting.exe, which may help you determine it's origin. HERE IS the direct link for their it. Hopefully it will help you. :)

Thanks Daniela, I went to the web site but thhey didn't have anything on NetWaiting.

Thanks for trying
ginger

Processor..Pentium 4
Ram..3G

#4 Lorac

Lorac
  • Members
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:02 PM

Ginger..

I see you're using cable. Here's a description of NetWaiting:

"Netwaiting is software installed with some dial-up modems, it "provides a mechanism to suspend a dialup internet connection on the modem line while the user uses the line for a voice communication." Basically it's so you can be online then, if someone actually tries to phone you, the modem will automatically disconnect so the phone rings and you can talk to whomever's calling you. This is only for dial-up though, if you're on broadband then Netwaiting is completely unnecessary.

Does that answer your question? :rolleyes: I would opt for uninstalling, if I were you. And yes, I would go to your Installed Programs and.....uninstall it. :closedeyes:

Hope this helps..
Carol

#5 virginiamerry

virginiamerry
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:12 PM

Ginger..

I see you're using cable. Here's a description of NetWaiting:

"Netwaiting is software installed with some dial-up modems, it "provides a mechanism to suspend a dialup internet connection on the modem line while the user uses the line for a voice communication." Basically it's so you can be online then, if someone actually tries to phone you, the modem will automatically disconnect so the phone rings and you can talk to whomever's calling you. This is only for dial-up though, if you're on broadband then Netwaiting is completely unnecessary.

Does that answer your question? :rolleyes: I would opt for uninstalling, if I were you. And yes, I would go to your Installed Programs and.....uninstall it. :closedeyes:

Hope this helps..
Carol

Processor..Pentium 4
Ram..3G

#6 BenDavid

BenDavid
  • Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:30 PM

Just to add a little something to my dear friend Carol's posting since you are using cable, if you are using DSL, or Cable modem for your Internet connection, you do not need NetWaiting.
It is only required when using a Dial-up Internet connection.

If you happen to ever receive a popup like this: Error message Appear that netwaiting.exe is missing" then do the following:
  • In Vista, type msconfig directly into the search bar of the start menu and press [Enter].
  • In the Windows System Configuration Utility, click the Startup tab.
  • In the list, uncheck the boxes of programs you no longer want to run at Windows startup.
  • Finally, click on the button [OK] to save changes.
  • A window will ask you to reboot your PC, you do not have to do, but when you restart your PC, another window will appear check the box "Do not show this window and press OK to avoid This window appears each time you start your PC.
Ben David

"The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,reliability or content of this post."

" Be very careful if you make a woman cry, because G-d counts her tears.
The woman came out of a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on.
Not from his head to be superior, but from the side to be equal.
Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved."

"Let me tell you the one thing I have against Moses. He took us forty years into the desert in order to bring us to the one place in the Middle East that has no oil!"
Golda Meir

#7 Eightball

Eightball
  • Admin
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:50 AM

If you have WinPatrol by BillP, it helps you control startup programs, and better yet it provides information for just about any file that starts with windows. Here is what it says about netwaiting for example:

Modem-on-Hold Utility – NETWAITING.EXE

Initially developed by Rockwell/Connexant, netwaiting.exe comes installed on Dell laptop and desktop computers running Windows XP. This "Modem-on-Hold" utility offers a convenient way to temporarily disable your Internet dialup connection in order to take a voice phone call. When you hang up from the voice phone call, your dialup connection is reestablished. This utility will only work if your Internet Service Provider supports the "Modem-on-hold" feature. If you don't use it or if your ISP doesn't support it, netwaiting.exe can be removed from your Startup Programs using WinPatrol. Safe
It also indicates if it is a safe program, and/or a program that is necessary for windows.

http://winpatrol.com

Cloudeight Internet LLC

NotOverTheHill Social Networking for ages 40+ Click here!

#8 Daniela

Daniela
  • Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:01 AM

Ginger, now you have received the answer to your question from several on C8, all pretty much giving the same explanation as to what netwaiting is and how you can control it. Some definitions are a bit more elaborate, always good ;), some are a brief summary...like the one I gave you the link for. If you clicked on the second one I provided, you should have find this explanation from processlibrary, and here is the quote:

Description netwaiting.exe: provides a mechanism to suspend a dialup internet connection on the modem line while the user uses the line for a voice communication. "This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.\r"

My opinion is that if you are on dial up and have to 'block' your main line when on the Internet, a program such as this may come in pretty handy. :)

Edited by Daniela, 16 September 2009 - 09:01 AM.

Posted Image

Reply to this topic