Photo

Security

1 reply to this topic

#1 lilybit

lilybit
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

It is my understanding that you should have one antivirus program and two spyware. I currently have Super antispyware and Spyware Blaster. Just deleted my current antivirus program and downloaded Micro Sec. Essentials. Somewhere I read that this covers antivirus and spyware. If that is true shouldn't I unload Spyware Blaster (free one). I guess what I'm asking is does MSE really include spyware protection in the program.

Thanks for your input

Lilybit

#2 BenDavid

BenDavid
  • Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

Lily, hello my friend. Hope you are enjoying this springtime, and all is well with you and all. Now MSE offers real-time protection against a range of threats, including Trojan horses and spyware, as well as viruses. Real-time protection means that as well as performing scans for existing infections, Security Essentials runs continually in the background to check for suspicious activity. SpywareBlaster is chiefly aimed at stopping malware based on ActiveX, a program-independent framework for designing software applications. SpywareBlaster works by disabling the identifiers used by ActiveX objects. This prevents malicious ActiveX-based objects from being installed on your system. It also blocks tracking cookies (which can be used to spy on your browsing habits) and allows you to take a snapshot of your system in a healthy state, which you can then revert back to in the wake of any infection. SpywareBlaster is a passive program -- it doesn't require processor time or tie up your computer's RAM, or other system resources such as drivers or services.

I write all this to say because SpywareBlaster is a passive program, it will not tie up resources needed by Microsoft Security Essentials. Additionally, SpywareBlaster is specifically designed to complement other security software that's running on the same system. Security Essentials is unlikely to misdiagnose SpywareBlaster's activity as the work of malicious code and prevent it from working. I say use Spywareblaster and Super since both are not antivirus programs, and I know of no compatibility conflicts.

Hope this helps.
Ben-David
"The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,reliability or content of this post."

" Be very careful if you make a woman cry, because G-d counts her tears.
The woman came out of a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on.
Not from his head to be superior, but from the side to be equal.
Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved."

"Let me tell you the one thing I have against Moses. He took us forty years into the desert in order to bring us to the one place in the Middle East that has no oil!"
Golda Meir

Reply to this topic