Photo

Do I Really Have Potential Threats

4 replies to this topic

#1 kennycd

kennycd
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

I have a red bordered pop up box that says "MS Security Essentials detected potential threats that might compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You need to clean your computer immediately to prevent system crash." Then it lists the following:

Trojan PSW.Win32Launch
Hack tool.Win32/Welevate A
Adware.Win32Fraud

I ran a scan with Security Essentials but it said there are no threats.

So now I just have this pop up sitting on the bottom because I don't know if I should click the Clean Computer button or not.

I was kind of hoping the scan would show a problem because then I would believe it. Now I don't know.

Thanks ... Carol

#2 BenDavid

BenDavid
  • Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

There is a new fake Microsoft Security Essentials doing the rounds!This Microsoft Security Essentials Alert is basically a Trojan which tries to trick you into buyingoneofthe5 rogueanti-virus programs that it is pushing.
These are the three that is listed.
trojan-PSW.win32launch hacktool:win32/welevate.A Adware.win32 Fraud

When the fake alert pops-up, it says that a malware has detected on your computer. It will list this Trojan as Unknown Win32/Trojan and will then prompt you to clean your computer usinganyoneofthe security software program. These five rogue programs are:

Red Cross Antivirus Peak Protection 2010 Pest Detector4.1 Major Defense Kit AntiSpySafeguard or AntiSpy Safeguard

During this fake online scan only the 5 fake anti-virus programs listed above will state that this supposed Trojan is an infection. It does this to scare you into clickingthe Free Install buttonnextto them that will install the rogue program onto your computer andthen reboot your computer.
Use this link to help you remove this if you clicked to open.
http://www.bleepingc...sentials-alert.
If you did not open then you are okay. Let us know if you are still needing help.

Ben-David
"The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,reliability or content of this post."

" Be very careful if you make a woman cry, because G-d counts her tears.
The woman came out of a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on.
Not from his head to be superior, but from the side to be equal.
Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved."

"Let me tell you the one thing I have against Moses. He took us forty years into the desert in order to bring us to the one place in the Middle East that has no oil!"
Golda Meir

#3 kennycd

kennycd
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:24 PM

Thanks so much for the quick reply so that I could get rid of that pop up. I don't know what you mean about if I didn't open it. The only option I had was to click on Clean Computer which I did not click on. I just sent it to the bottom of the screen until I heard from you.

I just did a ctrl alt delete to get rid of it.

Again thanks for the quick reply. I've gotten the fake pop ups about having a virus before but this was the first time it actually mentioned MS Security Essentials.

#4 BenDavid

BenDavid
  • Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

Did not mean to confuse, but if you had clicked for it to scan you would have let loose must likely malware, Trojan or anything severe. You did right by removing it like you did. If you get this polyp again look closely and there could be a misspelled word, and remember Microsoft products do not use MS. Hope all is good to go now.

Ben-David
"The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,reliability or content of this post."

" Be very careful if you make a woman cry, because G-d counts her tears.
The woman came out of a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on.
Not from his head to be superior, but from the side to be equal.
Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved."

"Let me tell you the one thing I have against Moses. He took us forty years into the desert in order to bring us to the one place in the Middle East that has no oil!"
Golda Meir

#5 kennycd

kennycd
  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Thanks again. All the warnings from you guys in all those news letters saved me.

Reply to this topic