How To Dump Cookies And Temp Files

19 replies to this topic

#1 Annfromscotland

Annfromscotland
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 03:35 PM

:I have had another Senior Moment!

Please would someone tell me again how to dump cookies and temp files? (Where are temp files kept, anyway
?)
Posted Image

#2 ladylucy

ladylucy
  • Members
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 03:44 PM

Got to tools and then internet options and make sure it is on general and then click away on deleting them both.

#3 Annfromscotland

Annfromscotland
  • Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 05:32 PM

Thank you. I should have known that but my memory is poor, especially if I dont do things like that right away!
Posted Image

#4 rattles

rattles
  • Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:04 PM

Are we to dump the
TEMP files or the TEMP INTERNET files? On disc cleanup, I dont take out the temp files. Are these different?

#5 granny68

granny68
  • Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 09:50 PM

Yes, they are different. Empty temp internet files only. Unless you know what you are doing, leave temp files alone. Some might be used for other programs. I have explored, but don't have the nerve to mess with them.

I am sure someone with more knowledge will advise you.
Granny 68

HP Pavilion a800n
AMD Athlon™ xp 3200
Win XP Sp2, Home
2.20 GHZ
512 MB Ram
AVG Free Edition
Belarc Advisor
Road Runner Cable
Spyware Blaster; Zone Alarm(free)
Windows Defender (beta) ; Adaware SE

#6 Ross

Ross
  • Members
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 11:04 PM

Temp files and temp internet files are 2 different things. They can both go bye bye however you may want to keep some things. You simply have to look and decide.

WinXP SP2 home AMD Athlon +2800 Barton at 2.08GHz on ASUS A7V8X-LA motherboard
512MB DDR RAM 120GB 5400rpm Samsung HD
Cable connection Sygate Firewall 5.6 Avast 4.6 Spyware blaster 3.4 Ad Aware SE 1.06 Spybot S&D 1.4

#7 LeonG

LeonG
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 12:55 AM

Just one comment on using the Internet Options to dump your (TIF) files. As far as I know MS Software makes the C:\windows\Temporary Internet Files (Folder) also a sub folder called contentIE5, then depending on your PC, 4/6 folders under the IE5 folder. SO if you have 1,000 TIF files in the TIF Folder, the contentIE5 folder will have 1,000 files, and also the 4/6 folders will have 1,000 each. So you can easily have 6 to 8 thousand files & cookies. The reason for this comment is that on the Internet Options if you click (Delete Cookies) they are gone. If you click (Delete Files) the TIF files are deleted from the TIF Folder..BUT NOTE: If you put a checkmark in the (Delete all Offline Content) MS will scan the contentIE5 folder and the 4/6 other folders and delete those TIF junk files also.. LeonG

Win XP-Home - PentiumII - 1.5GHz
40GB 7200 RPM HD - IE/OE7
Avast! 4.8 Professional
Spyware Doctor, Registry Mechanic,
Email Guardian, RoboForm and
LinkSys Router
Midland, Texas

#8 Kathie

Kathie
  • Members
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 03:55 AM

LeonG,

You totally lost me. I have WindowsXP. I have checked the box to always empty tempoary Internet Files every time I disconnect from the Internet.

The Temp files I hardly ever go to or look at. But the stuff you are talking about......4\6 folders? I've never seen that, don't even know what it is or where to find it.

Cookies I go through every so often and delete the ones I don't care about as I may not go back to that website anyway. If I HAVE to have a cookie to get onto the website, like my home page, I keep it.

Can you talk in simple words for a simple mind, please?

Kathie
IPB Image

Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Micrsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2
Intel®
Celeron® CPU 1.80GHz
640 MB RAM
Dial up

PSP 8 Beginner/Intermediate

Johnson City, Oregon
IPB Image

#9 Fleurette

Fleurette
  • Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 09:28 AM

Hi LeonG..
I have win 98 and I can't see where to check(Delete All Offline content)..
Don't know if I'm blind or what..is that in the browsing section?
You are right about thousands of files in those places and subs.. but never know what to do about it.

Thanks..
Microsoft Win7 Home.
IE9 all updated

#10 ladylucy

ladylucy
  • Members
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 09:45 AM

Leon, are you saying to go in now and then and delete the off linke files also? I do that now and then. Not all the time. It takes a lot longer for it to do it. I was not sure what the off line files were.

#11 Daniela

Daniela
  • Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 10:47 AM

My personal view on those options is that basically it is an equally personal decision as to if and what anybody wishes to delete within their computers. Also, please note that the Windows Setup, and thereby folder options, are not exactly the same in the respective Windows Versions; obviously quite noticeable between 98 and XP.

I have Windows XP Pro and choose to always delete any and all temporary files, no matter which program has created them.

Also, just a word of caution: If one decides to not to also delete the offline content along with the Temporary Internet files by checking it every time, chances are that within mostly harmless files one is also keeping some spyware-type files within the computer, which could cause further problems, as it has happened to a friend of mine.
Posted Image

#12 rattles

rattles
  • Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 02:13 PM

doh-smile.gif OK- now I am totally confused. What and where do I delete these files and cookies? I have Windows 98.
Come on back Leon!! umm.gif

#13 ladylucy

ladylucy
  • Members
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 02:46 PM

I told how to do it in the second post. Be sure and tic the delete off line files also.

#14 rattles

rattles
  • Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 04:01 PM

OK Ladylucy-did it. How often should we do this?

#15 ladylucy

ladylucy
  • Members
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 04:07 PM

I do mine about once a day. Right before shutting down. You will have to sign into everything again, like the forum

#16 Carolinakid

Carolinakid
  • Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 06:12 PM

It is important that we not allow some of the routine computer chores to stress us too much. Things like emptying Temporary Internet files and Cookie files are a bit flexable and how often to do them is a matter of individual choice. Whether you choose to do these cleanup chores once a day or 2 or 3 times a week, set yourself a comfortable schedule to do these things. How often you empty Temp. Int. Files can depend on how much time you spend on the internet. If you are only on a short while each day you could easily delete them every few days. However, if you spend hours on the internet and go to many sites each day you would want to do it more often. I empty mine every day or two and that seems to work for me.

The frequency for deleting cookies is also a matter of choice. Personally, I don't delete the cookie folder very often since doing so gets rid of good cookies that let me automatically sign in to websites or to set up preferences in something like a weather site that allows me to get my hometown weather easily. One of the earlier issues of Info Ave. Newsletter has a very good article about cookies:

INFO AVE- ABOUT COOKIES

So, it is important that we avoid being a slave to our computers. The reason we have computers is to enjoy them. If we overly worry about maintenance, viruses and other security risks, and other routine things, we do not get to really enjoy our machines. If we have a comfortable maintenance schedule, keep our protection updated and use good common sense, our computers will provide us with the enjoyment we want.
I had a cousin who was forever tinkering with and tuning his car and that left very little time to drive and enjoy it.

Milt

#17 LeonG

LeonG
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 07:33 PM

LeonG is back... Sounds like I sturred up a hornets nest..(On Dumping TIF Files).
using the (Internet Options)..For those on XP if you click your (Start), then click (My Computer) you should see My Computer in the (Address) Space at top. If you copy/paste any or each one of these (Path) addresses below you will see the path to the contentIE5 folder and the 4 or 6 other folders on your computer. The check mark in the little box to (delete all offline content) is files in the 4 or 6 folders.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

When you use the Internet Options to delete your TIF (Junk) files you can delete ALL of the TIF files & ALL cookies with no problems, that's what MS made it for.
Some of us old timers use to do all this manual and would get some that we shouldn't have. I stand corrected,but your PC has other Cookie folders that contain the cookies that your PC uses regular and you can't get to them to delete like the ones on Internet Options. They are in the data files in each cookie folder like below if you path to them.. But you can't look at them, so you can't delete, unless you delete the data file then you might be in trouble.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Cookies
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Cookies
C:\Documents and Settings\Leon Gxxxxxx\Cookies
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies

Hope this will help on the Windows XP users... Those on Windows 98 I will address on the next memo with my suggestions to delete the cookies & TIF files and to look at these folders listed above..

Avast! 4.8 Professional
LinkSys Router
Midland, Texas

#18 LeonG

LeonG
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:42 PM

LeonG is Back Again..
Milt and others made some good suggestions, to set up a schedule that is comfortable to you and your use of the Web Browsing, & to do all this deleting.
One made a great suggestion that I agree with, that if you delete all in the TIF & cookies folders, then you are less likely to have one of the "Perverts" follow a cookie back to your PC and dump some Spyware or Adware on you.

Some may agree or disagree, but here is my thoughts on all this. If you Browse the Web very much, you will make a Cookie & URL address (Http://wwwxxx) on each site you visit. If you visit a "Perverts" site and he attaches something to come to you while online you might get anything from Spyware, Adware, Virus
to a Trojan Horse. Now see what you think of this. If you shut down and all those TIF files are there, and next day, start up your PC, the cookies notify the
"Perverts" that you are online, here he comes with all his Trash/Junk.. (I know it's more technical than this, but it's simple to see this way.

On the other hand, IF you go to (Internet Options) and delete cookies, delete Files
and clear history, just before you shutdown your PC, then the next day when you startup and get online all those Junk/Trash Cookies and TIF Files are gone, and can't send message to "Perverts" Like I said, this is just my suggestions, and I'm not trying to force it on anyone, if it doesn't fit you and the way you work, that's fine.

Like Milt said, "Try to enjoy your Puter" and have fun, although it's getting harder to do that than it was 25 years ago for me. I have an Internet Security Professional Program, Firewall, Intrusion Detection, Linksys Router with Firewall, I Use Ad-Aware, Spybot, and get all the Windows Critical Updates, to help fight the
"Perverts" and my Log Sheets still fill up with all the Hits, Hackers, Trojan, Virus ALERTS.. Makes you want to Pull the Plug at times..Ha!!

LeonG

Avast! 4.8 Professional
LinkSys Router
Midland, Texas

#19 LeonG

LeonG
  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 11:00 PM

(Oh No!!) LeonG Again..

Some ask about all this Deleting of TIF files & Cookies on Win 98, I tried to answer each personally, but if I missed someone, here is my suggestions on using the (Internet Options) on Win 98, 95 & XP

Click your (Start), then (Settings) on (95/98), then (Control Panel).. There you find and open the (Internet Option) If you like, you can (Right) click the Internet Options then (Left) click the (Create Shortcut) and it will ask if you want an ICON placed on your desktop, just click yes, this way you want have to hunt up the (IO) everytime, just click the Icon to open.

Anyway, when Internet Options opens you will see the three Buttons (Delete Cookies) (Delete Files) and (Settings) .. Win 95 only shows (Delete Files) & (Settings) and some Win 98 does also. No Cookies. If you click the (Delete Cookies) then (Ok) the cookies are gone. "You still have the cookies your PC uses in other Cookie Folders".

Click (Delete Files) button, it will show a (Popup) that has the small box at left of (Delete all Offline Content) if you click the box, then OK, it will empty your TIF folder and also the folder ContentIE5, and the (Offline Content) folders. MS knows what to delete and what not to delete, but all thes files in your (TIF) Temporary Internet Files Folder are just useless, unless you use one to retreive a .mid (Music) file. other than that they are Trash. Cookies and all.

A lot of you know this, but if you don't, if you click the (Settings) Button just right of Delete Files, that will bring up (Settings) Down at bottom and in the center is a Button (View Files) if you click that, it will open up your (TIF) Folder and show all the Cookies & URL addys (Http://wwwxxx) Files. If you have your (Status) checked in menu, you can find the (Select All) on menu or do a (Ctrl/A) and it will highlight all and show you a count in lower left corner. For those of you that don't have the (Delete Cookie) Button on Win 95 & 98, while these are all highlighted you can click the delete and they are gone. Those with Win XP this is just a way to look at the files if you want to before clicking the Delete Cookies & Files on first page of (IO)

One last suggestion and I'm through with this, Delete TIF Stuff. .. When you have (IO) open and click the (Settings) Button and see the settings popup, you will notice it has a place below, that says "Amount of Disk Space to Use" and a Number of MB in the box. Some have as much as 650 MB, or what ever. My thinking on this is that a "Cookie and a http:// address want even make a 1000 th of a byte on the scale, but if you have 650 MB you are telling the PC that it can store that many MB's in the Folder, which could be 50,000 little cookies and addys before it got to 650 MB. I reccomend to those that I tutor to set this to 2 MB, that's plenty, in my opinon.. AGAIN all this is not the only way to do something and might not fit your way of doing things, it's just my way and not ment to say the only way.. OK... Goodnight and have a great week..

LeonG
Avast! 4.8 Professional
LinkSys Router
Midland, Texas

#20 Fleurette

Fleurette
  • Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 01:44 PM

Thank you LeonG..good reading,.good instructions and very well explained..
It all made sense to me..and no wonder it was filling up so much.. I had it set at 250 MB ..way too much space for junk.. thank again..
Microsoft Win7 Home.
IE9 all updated

Reply to this topic